May 24, 2017, New-York
Panel discussion organised by OECD, the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs, and FERDI /ECOSOC Financing for Development Forum
Panel Discussion on Total Official Support for Sustainable Development (TOSSD): A statistical measurement framework for tracking the Means of Implementation to achieve the SDGs ECOSOC Financing for Development Forum
Wednesday 24 May 2017 • 18:30-20:00 UN HQ Conference room 7 Objectives of the discussion
- Harnessing synergies at global and country level on strategies to promote effective and integrated frameworks to mobilise all available resources – aid, taxation, domestic and international private finance, remittances and philanthropy – in support of financing for sustainable development.
- Promoting enhanced accountability and incentives for resources beyond ODA. Advance understanding about the nature and potential future role of the TOSSD measurement framework to strengthen data and monitoring of the Means of Implementation, including in support of global public goods and reducing economic, social/political and environmental vulnerabilities. Speakers
- Mr. Jorge Moreira da Silva, Director, OECD Development Co-operation Directorate
- Mr. Philippe Orliange, Director, Agence Francaise de Developpement
- H.E. Ambassador João Vale de Almeida, European Union
- H.E. Ambassador Horacio Sevilla Borja, Ecuador
- H.E. Ambassador Masood Bin Momen, Bangladesh (LDC Group)
- H.E Ambassador Marie Chatardová, Czech Republic
- H.E. Ambassador Michel Tommo Monthé, Cameroon
- Ms. Shari Spiegel, Chief of the Policy Analysis & Development Branch, UN-DESA
Key Discussants :
- Mr. Francois Legue, Foreign Affairs Counsellor, Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAEDI), France
- Mr. Matthieu Boussichas, Programme Manager, Ferdi
Moderator : Ms. Minh-Thu D. Pham, Executive Director of Policy, United Nations Foundation
Questions for discussion
- Which policies most effectively mobilise all available resources – aid, taxation, domestic and international private finance, remittances and philanthropy – in an integrated manner in support of financing for sustainable development?
- How could the TOSSD metric best be aligned with developing country information needs for developing their SDG financing strategies? How could a broader measurement framework better track support for global public goods and efforts to reduce economic, social/political and environmental vulnerabilities?
- How could ECOSOC play an active role in developing TOSSD – to ensure it is as useful as possible for different international actors, monitoring processes and analytical thinking as the international community gears up for tracking broader resources financing the SDGs?